Is reading difficult for you? Do you have problems remembering what you read? If you have this problem you are not alone. Children, teenagers and even adults struggle with retention. Reading comprehension issues are caused by the inability to retain, or remember what you read. Reading fiction novels is a valuable remedy for increasing retention for eight reasons.
1. Fiction novels are the most interesting books you can read. They include many genres, such as: thrillers, adventures, detectives, science, historical, romance and westerns.
2. Fiction novels are written to keep you interested so you will keep reading. There are many plots which build on one another and are staggered throughout the novels to make you curious enough to keep you turning pages.
3. The more you read, the more your attention span increases. A good novel should peak your interests by making you guess what will happen next. Its twists and turns in the actions will keep you in suspense until the plots are tied together at the novel’s end.
4. Unlike television shows, fiction novels expand your imagination much more by allowing you visualize the actions. Watching TV shows cannot stimulate the mind like a good fiction novel, because TV hinders your ability to imagine.
5. It improves brain function. Reading novels creates neurons which increase your ability to think. Building neurons can also affect your mood, especially if you struggle with depression. Negative thoughts and feelings sap your body and mind of positive energy. Reading fiction takes your focus off yourself and onto the pages.
6. It puts you in other people’s shoes. Characters and their actions must be engaging enough for your mind to interact with them.
7. Fiction novels are worth your time and money. They are freely available at libraries and online. If you have a computer, searching for them online is well worth it. Type “free books” into your search engine and you will find many available. They can also be bought cheaply at thrift stores, or online at Amazon or Barnes and Noble.
8. Thanks to recent technology, reading is easier and more fun. For a little extra money, you can buy a basic online reading device, namely, a “Kindle” from Amazon, or a “Nook” from Barnes and Noble. You can download them for a fraction of their hardback or paperback prices. If you are unsure about a specific book, you can decide by searching for reviews from other readers who have read the book.
Reading fiction novels is the best and most exciting way to increase retention. Fiction novels captivate, engage and interact with your imagination, because their authors write creative stories staggered throughout the book that should entice you to read to the last page. This increases brain function by building neurons, which heightens thinking, attention span, and reduces boredom and depression. No matter how old you are, go to your local library, bookstore, thrift store or computer to find an interesting fiction novel and start reading.